Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Something new at last....






This is a new piece I have been working on, "Uprooted".  It is made from Creative brand paper clay, roots from my garden, pastels, graphite, a scrap of silk I dyed pink, and good old fashioned paste wax. 

Paste wax over pastel is quickly becoming one of my favorite techniques. It is shiny but not too shiny... protective but not overly artificial and plastic feeling. I put it on, let it sit, and buff it to my desired level of sheen.

This piece is 12" tall. I have been trying and trying to make something small that is not cute. This has proven much more difficult than expected. In retrospect, maybe I should have anticipated small and cute being so intertwined...just think of all the kittens, puppies, babies, bunnies, dolls, etc. out there... they are usually small and usually cute!

Anyway, back to the studio for me. More new work is on its way.


2 comments:

julie said...

Hi Betsy, I have been following here for a while now. I think your work is very interesting. I like this piece and I think it works well without being cute. Looking forward to seeing more.

heather noye said...

very interesting piece. i found your blog when i searched on 'encaustic over paper clay'. i work in both mediums and am interested in combining the two. The piece you posted a few months back is very cool, as is this one with the paste wax.