Friday, March 25, 2011

KTWU Segment & the Harveyville Project



The Harveyville Project in Harveyville, Kansas is a great place to be. It is a strange, unexpected creative retreat in the middle of nowhere. The old school buildings are charming, the food is delicious, and the hosts/founders Nikol Lohr and Ron Miller are delightful. Throughout the year, Harveyville hosts artists and crafters and offer worshops on felting, spinning, encaustic and more.

For me,  "Felt School" was an educational, inspirational, creative sleepover. I drove home relaxed and excited about what I had made. I met crafty people from all over the country, slept in a classroom complete with chalkboards and antique class photos,  and showered in an old locker room. The school itself adds a lot to the experience; there is just something exciting about walking past lockers in your pajamas.  Where else can you learn to make felt in a 1930's high school science lab?
In the years since I was a Harveyville student, I have come back to share my artwork at Felt School. On one of these occasions, I met John Njagi, a filmmaker from KTWU in Topeka. He was doing a film about craft for Sunflower Journeys, a local public TV series. He kindly included me in his film and even traveled to Kansas City to document my current exhibition. Take a look a the video to learn more. Check out the Harveyville Project's website for their current course schedule.

No comments: