Sunday, January 26, 2014

Time is moving fast and slow...

Happy New Year! Is is too late to say that already? Probably. 


I recently told a friend that being a mom somehow makes life move super fast and super slow simultaneously.

It seems like days, weeks, and even months slip away before I know it. I find myself with less time to "get things done"...by this, I mean many of the professional and personal things I used to do....making  art, applying for shows and other opportunities, going to openings, networking, blogging, reading, etc. I am swept up in the continual rhythm of nap time, bath time, cleaning, making dinner, laundry, going to work, and so on. Hours spent intently focusing on applications and artwork are becoming a distant memory.

While I lose track of days and weeks, something else - totally unexpected - is also happening. Individual moments seem to have slowed down; they become almost tangible, like something I can gather up and store in a jar. Now that I am responsible for guiding a little person through the world, I am doing all sorts of things that I haven't made time for in years. When was the last time I intently jumped in a frozen puddle to watch and hear the ice crack? Why did I ever stop looking for the moon each night or searching to see airplanes when I hear them flying overhead? Now that I am excited about sharing experiences with my son, everything is new again. I can't tell you where December and January have gone...but I can tell you what it is like to catch a snowflake on my mitten for a close up inspection. How strange.

All in all, I am very happy with new pace of my life. However, I have resolved to be more intentional with my "free time" this year. (You know, eliminate a half hour of FaceTime and Pinterest here and there and next thing you know you are starting a new body of work. ) One of the things top on my list was to make a new website. I did it already, I am happy to report - and it is still January! (However, if I am honest with myself, I am pretty sure that a new website was on my 2013 list too. Ha!)

Anyway, take a look when you have a chance. I'll be photographing some new pieces to add very soon.

No comments: