Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Laura Sharp Wilson

I was working in my studio this morning on some smaller pieces when my mind wandered to the work of Laura Sharp Wilson, an artist I encountered at the Byron Cohen Gallery in Kansas City, Missouri. I went running to my computer to look for images and info. I snapped the photos below at her exhibition, Sculptures, way back in 2005. I was and still am attracted to Wislon's careful use of texture and attention to detail...not to mention the playful, alien, cute yet strangely dangerous world I find myself immersed in. I love the painstaking work with little pieces of paper, bits of clay, natural materials, cloth, and dabs of paint.













From what I can gather online, Wilson currently lives and works in Salt Lake City, Utah. I can't find images of her sculptures, save what I have squirreled away in my files, but I do see lots and lots of paintings such as the one above. You can see a selection her current work at McKenzie Fine Art Inc.

No comments: